Corfu Old Town
The New York Luxury Suites complex is located in the Old Town of Corfu, which is also the largest town on the island, in addition to being its capital, with a history that dates back to the Middle Ages, when it was built by the Venetians.
The Old Town is the main reason why most of the visitors choose this particular Ionian Island, and certainly the destination that everyone, without exception, will visit during their holidays in Corfu.
It is an area in the central-east of the island, which has been preserved unchanged through the centuries, enchanting the visitor with its Venetian architecture, but also with the particularly romantic atmosphere it exudes!
In fact, it is so perfectly preserved that it looks like a set from a Hollywood period movie. And yet it is a vibrant and populous area (30,000 permanent residents), which has been continuously inhabited since it was first built.
Perched between the two hallmark fortresses of Corfu, the Old Town, once known as Kastropolis, invites you to explore it by walking through its cobbled alleys (cantons) that irregularly circle the medieval-style houses! Old mansions with embossed decorations and impressive coats of arms, commanding buildings of the neoclassical type, and majestic period palaces, are some of the impressive architectural edifices of the Old Town, which is full of small picturesque neighborhoods.
In each neighborhood, you will find a small square, a marble well and a small church. You will also find a wide variety of shops, cafes, restaurants, taverns and bars to do your shopping and enjoy your food, coffee or drink.
The Old Town is itself a big attraction, but it also offers a plethora of individual attractions, such as:
• Spianada, the largest square in the Balkans, where you can enjoy endless walks in the greenery, overlooking the Old Fortress
• Liston, the famous pedestrian street of the island with the archways, where you can sit for food, coffee or drink
• the two emblematic Fortresses (Old and New), distinguished for their fortication design
• the Old Palace with the Garden of the People, where you can enjoy your walk, overlooking the sea and the Old Fortress
• Byzantine churches, majestic period mansions, dozens of museums, unique buildings and labyrinthine neighborhoods, such as Campiello
The Old Towngeographically isin the middle of Corfu, giving the visitor the advantage to divide the distance between the island’s two sides. While, other important attractions worth visiting, such as the Achilleion palace, Paleokastritsa, Angelokastro and Pontikonisi, are located at a distance of 10-25 km.
Beautiful organized beaches for swimming or water sports in crystal clear waters, you will find at a distance of 7-15 km. Some of these beaches, located near the center of Corfu are Dasia, Kontogialos, Kanoni, Anemomilos, Mon Repo, Glyfada, Benitses and Gouvia.